Sunday, January 1, 2012

Grandma Carole

Christmas Eve I got a call from my mother telling me my grandma had been rushed to the hospital because she wasn't breathing on her own. Later they found out she had double pneumonia & her lungs were filled with fluid. After being in the hospital a couple days my grandma was informed she has lung cancer. I couldn't believe her diagnosis & I am still having a hard time accepting the fact that she has cancer. Every day we get more & more information on her condition. Currently she is still in the acute care unit in the hospital. My grandpa stays every night with her & she has tons of family members in & out each day keeping her company.
Thursday I went to visit her & she was doing well! She sat up & chatted with me for an hour or so, she said she was still in shock about having lung cancer. She also told me how much she loves me & how she has been so honored to be my grandma! I cried when I got to my car just thinking about this whole thing & have cried multiple times since. This whole thing is so sad :( Today I got a call that the doctors said they are stopping treatment for her pneumonia because of where the cancer is the pneumonia will keep coming back. They are treating the cancer with radiation & tomorrow is her second treatment. The doctors said if they can get the cancer under control they will treat her pneumonia. They are draining the fluid in her lungs but it keeps coming back. I don't understand why they wouldn't treat the pneumonia still but I guess I am not a doctor!! Just a medical assistant & nursing student who knows some medical stuff but definitely not enough. It is hard to see my grandma & grandpa go through this. My grandpa is a very strong man, he doesn't say I love you he doesn't show much emotion but I have heard he is breaking down & having a very hard time with this whole thing. My grandma is only 66 years YOUNG. She should have a lot more years left to share with my grandpa but I guess regardless of the amount of time, it would never be enough. The doctors told my grandpa to make sure family is very close by. <---this scares me!!! One thing that my grandma said on Thursday that was hard to hear was "I wish I would have stopped smoking 20 years ago" My grandma has always smoked & I have always wanted her to quit!!! IT IS A PROVEN FACT THAT SMOKING KILLS PEOPLE!!! I don't understand why people would do something they know WILL hurt them!! SO if you smoke please STOP!! NOW... don't wait!!!
If you all will say a prayer for my grandma & my family I would really appreciate it! I am going to see her tomorrow & will update my blog later!

No comments:

Post a Comment